CampusNovember 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Coup: There It Is

Finally, Coup De Taco opened. It’s parked on 40th between Spruce and Locust and it didn’t have any line when we went at 1 today. We’re guessing it might have been the last time we could walk right up, though, because these tacos were muy bangin.

We went with the Southern BBQ Pork Tacos (1 for $3.50 or 2 for $6). See how they’re individually wrapped in foil and placed in one of those cardboard carnival things?┬áVery portable. Also, very delicious. The pork, which we were told had been marinating for a day, was served in a soft tortilla with rice and chopped apple. We know: apple? But it was good! Now that we’ve had that experience, we might ask for no apples next time, but only because we want to taste more of that pork. Mad juicy.

Most importantly, everyone we talked to (there were four guys crammed in there) was super nice and excited about the future of the truck. Things to look out for in the future include the menu being laminated onto a burlap sack and live music on Saturdays.

So, on a scale of Taco to 100 Tacos for $100, we give this truck two big thumbs up! If you also stopped by today, let us know what you thought in the comments. You can use any kind of arbitrary, nonsense scale you want.

By Ben P at November 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I had the chicken indian tikka masala and the chicken sweet thai coconut and they were delicious. My only gripe is probably that the rice tasted a little undercooked. I am looking forward to the southern BBQ and South Philly. I am really excited for their ideas like late nights and saturday brunch. And once they get their hours set (they said probably 11-8), it will be a nice dinner on my way home.

By Lauren Lipsay at November 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Ben, your headline just made me laugh out loud. Thank you. In more productive commenting news, I’d be interested to know how/why they chose 40th and Locust. Something of a random spot but I guess there was a food cart void there previously.

By Nick at November 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

The more important question is what happened to Rami’s Luncheonette? Also, the truck was making a LOT of noise when I walked by, was it like that all day?

By Stephanie at November 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I tried the BBQ pork tacos today, thanks to your suggestion. They were DELICIOUS! I love the small apple chunks in the tacos. Two tacos for $6 is a bit pricey considering I could get a huge Chipotle burrito for almost the same price, but I was pleasantly surprised how filling they were. The service was really, REALLY slow, but the guys in the truck were nice and chatty – plus, the juicy, perfectly marinated meat was well worth the wait. I told them I read about their truck on underthebutton.com and they were excited to hear about it.

By patrick at November 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Fantastic. Just fantastic. Went at 2:30. One guy ahead of me, so the wait was totally reasonable. Had the chicken tikka and the BBQ pork. Both excellent. I am seriously considering going back for the Thai on my way home.

By Jeff at November 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Wow! First, thanks so much to underthebutton.com for the review, and to all the people who replied, we really value your feedback and want to know about everything we’re doing well and not-so-well.

To respond to some of the comments, first, we very much agree that our generator was really loud – if you thought it was loud, imagine us in there with it clanking away – on a scale of quiet to Pearl Jam concert it was ear plug worthy. This is why were in the process of buying a new generator and in the meantime we’re going to only stay open until the sun goes down because we won’t have lights after that! Sorry about this – especially to the kids in the dorm right next to us! Lights, in fact, are crucial to us. In response to the location question, we know this spot is odd for a standard “lunch” truck but same as how we are throwing a coup on the traditional taco, we are also trying to stage a coup on the traditional lunch truck concept. We want to be a dinner truck too and we know 40th/Locust is more of a dinner time area than a lunchtime one. We really hope you all stop by after class, not just between them.

If you’re interested in keeping track of our generator/hours of operation status please check in on our blog at http://coupdetaco.wordpress.com or on our website at http://www.coupdetaco.com

Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback, keep it coming!

-Jeff

By Gary at November 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I had lunch at Coup de Taco today and the chicken tikka was fantastic! The rice had a bold flavor that I couldn’t place, but it was pretty great. Walked by the truck yesterday and heard the same loud noise that someone had mentioned but today it was completely gone. Just delicious tacos remaining.

By Mike at November 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Loved it and did a full write-up review on my blog: http://winstongfx.com/foodventure/?p=485