Have you ever been torn between Pilates and piña coladas? Stuck in a mental war with weights and whiskey? Don’t know whether you want down dog or Dogfish Head? Annoying alliteration aside (ha ha), ignoring the Ivy League guilt of productivity–both academically and physically–for the sake of happy hour can be difficult. However, a recent study could make that choice much easier.
The study observed mice in different living environments: half in a social setting and half in an isolated setting. Results suggested that mice with friends lost more weight than their antisocial counterparts; additionally, the social mice also had more “brown fat”–the type that burns calories.
So what? You’re not a mouse, we know. However, you now have an awesome, science-y excuse the next time you’d rather go eat a burger with your housemates than be surrounded by sweat and sports bras. And what better way to skip a solo library sesh than by boozing it up?!?! On that note, here’s a list of drink specials around campus (i.e. within walking distance of that 3:30-5 p.m. lecture) we think are worth checking out:
- Mad Mex: half off all draft beers, weekdays 4:30-6 p.m.
- Tap House: $2 off all local beers, Mondays 5-7 p.m.
- Drinker’s West: $1 PBR cans, Wednesdays 5-10 p.m.
- Local 44: $3.30 local drafts, Monday-Friday 5-7 p.m.
- Distrito: $2 Tecate cans, Monday-Friday 5-7 p.m.
- Copabanana: $2.50 domestic mugs, Monday-Friday 5-7 p.m.
- Blockley Pourhouse: 1/2 price drafts and appetizers, Monday-Friday 5-7 p.m.
- Cavanaugh’s: $8 Yuengling pitchers, Tuesdays 4-10 p.m.
- New Deck: $1 off all bottles, Monday-Saturday 3-5 p.m.
- Tria: three “uncommon” wines for $5 each, Monday-Saturday 4-6 p.m
- Smokey Joe’s: $2 pints and $6.50 pitchers, Monday-Friday until 7 p.m.