NewsFebruary 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Alice Lee Inadvertently Changes The Job Search Process

When we saw Junior Alice Lee’s “Dear Instagram” site, our first reaction was something along the lines of “bad economy + desperate times + cool app = resume-esque personal website and that is that.”

But wait, an article by The Atlantic Wire may have changed the playing field. While Lee has not yet confirmed if she is in talks with Instagram about an actual opportunity to work there, could this grandiose act raise the bar for all other job hopefuls?

How far would you go to land your ideal job?

View Results

By Penn Student at February 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm By Anonymous at February 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

This has been done plenty of times before.

First real case of it: http://www.lorenburton.com/
Another Penn student: http://yipit.kishinmanglani.com/

By lack of commitment at February 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

First of all…”I took a semester off from school to work at foursquare and travel last fall when 99.9% of my classmates were interviewing for banking jobs. ” >>> false, aside from the fact that not nearly that percentage interview for banking (I know she was using hyperbole, shut up), as a junior, almost none of her classmates were interviewing in the fall. Yes, some seniors were. Not relevant enough.

Second…of course there are no mentions of how she totally dropped out of an important role at a vital point in a national marketing case competition last year, “just because.” Or abandoned the MUSE board to well-meaning but inexperienced sophomores. While obviously very talented, she seems to be somewhat selfish and doesn’t seem to have the commitment necessary to working in a team…

By into the woods at February 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

could this person be any more self centered? this public self reflection….is a little much. this website is admirable….but the DP ARTICLES!!! my god. shhhhhhh. just shhhhh.

By derp at February 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Besides all the jitty jagging from previous commenters, I think she did a excellent job at presenting her credential in the best light. Exaggeration or not does not matter, people should consider it more of a snapshot of what she had accomplished. Another person’s resume can also be considered a snapshot. Who’s snapshot is more appealing at the moment? =P

By Nick at February 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Lots of people make online resume/portfolio/hire-me type sites. Hers is not the first or the last.

Laughed @ the MUSE jerk off trying to throw her under the bus though. jokes

By Nik Weinstein at February 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I totally would not hire a 20 year old who is really proud of writing a poorly navigated site and wants to tell me how to restructure my own. Tired of designers thinking they need to have animations for the heck of it.

Also, don’t really understand the need to abbreviate as many things as possible. Never heard of “photogs” before. I wish I hadn’t.

Overall, the person seems like the picture of everything wrong with young people. Holy crap, I’m only 30 and I said that….