ShutterButtonFebruary 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

ShutterButton: What’s LOVE Got To Do With It?

Quite a bit, apparently. Spotted early this morning amidst College Green was a newly rainbow-hued LOVE statue. According to our sources, the makeover, touted as a “public art installation,” may be the first of many Cubic Street Art projects. Maybe it has to do with our school’s gay-friendly status? Perhaps.

LOVE it? Hate it? Let us know in the comments.

By Matt Smith on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I do not like the makeover. I support gay rights and acceptance but you don’t have to go around putting ranbows on everything and ruining public property. Being gay doesn’t give you special rights because some people discriminate against you. What happened to being classy Penn?

By outraged on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I don’t think we should be supporting rainbows this way on our campus. Just because you’re refracted light doesn’t make you special or give you special rights. I think we need to do away with prisms on campus and just get rid of refracted light altogether. Rainbows have been parading around for too long, thinking they’re hot shit because they’re a “natural phenomenon,” making all the other singular colors of light feel less than satisfactory. Come on Penn, let’s stay classy and start a campaign to keep rainbows out of our student lives.

By Anonymous on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

This is ridiculous. I also support gay rights but I’m sick of the issue being shoved in my face everywhere I go. Penn was recently voted the most gay friendly campus in the country so why deface and politicize a campus landmark to an already tolerant student body other than to be completely obnoxious? While we’re at it, let’s just go ahead and replace the button with a big pink triangle!

By @OUTRAGED on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Interesting perspective! Considering the electromagnetic spectrum includes IR waves and microwaves and X-rays, all of which are possibly more important than the mere 400-700 nm spectrum on which Penn is focusing! Have you noticed that Penn lacks enough support for these other wavelengths of light? Sure, PennApps made the spectacular microWave, but no one has tried to put the IR in LOVE, and what’s love without some heat?

By outraged on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I agree entirely. We really just need to get rid of all the light, as obviously we can’t be as open and accepting to all wavelengths as we could be. I support rainbows, IR and micorwaves and all, but come on, I’m tired of having them pushed in my face all day long. We’re much too tolerant as it is, I really think it would just be better to live in the dark.

By TO MATT on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

FYI, the rainbow was painted on a piece of paper, not directly onto the statue. It’s not like it’s a permanent change.

By ALLIED FOR ART on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Matt Smith, This isn’t going around “putting rainbows on everything” and definitely not “ruining public property”. And most certainly, being gay does not give them special rights. maybe this art installation is there to make people aware of how they actually have less rights? or maybe it’s just there because it looks really cool.

By DRL on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Meh, not a fan. Leave the LOVE sign alone.

By yall are missing the point on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I think this was a nice way of bringing gay rights to the campus. It was removable. Not vandalism. Let’s not blow things out of proportion. We try but this campus and this state and this country is deeply homophobic.

By R on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Outraged is my hero

By @Anonymous on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Doesn’t “Penn Fashion Week” cover the love statue every year? Surely it’s not that big of a deal. Or should we stop the stylish among us from shoving it in our face too?