NewsApril 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Penn Ranked #5 Best University Food

Number five? An interesting choice. Is Commons actually top five great? Are we all just pretentious food critics at heart? Was Hill really a jail before it was a dining hall?

According to The Daily Meal, Bon Appétit has stepped up its game with its farm-to-fork sustainable food philosophy and gotten us the fifth spot (typical) for food quality out of America’s top universities. That’s right, those funny-looking freezers in Houston filled with even funnier-looking local food got us this honorary ranking – not to mention those savory burgers and salads that you wait 45 minutes to get. Way to go!

For dessert, take a look at the renovations Commons has in store for next year. (We suggest more Photoshopped trendy college kids!)

By Frequenter of Commons on April 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

This is a LIE.

By ERRR on April 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

How can this be? Commons’ food is worse than Wawa’s. They might try hard to bring in local produce, but it still sucks.

By yolo on April 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

April Fools!

By w'12 on April 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

#1 – WashU in St. Louis, according to the article, also uses “food management giant Bon Apetit”….interesting.

Even more interesting – I don’t see UCLA on this list, even though UCLA is most definitely known for some of the best college dining food out there.

I call erroneous on the measurement standards used by whatever journalism published these results.

By @W'12 on April 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

UCLA isn’t on the list because this is the US News and World Report top 20 ranked according to best food. Tufts, also known for incredible food, is not ranked either because it is not in the USN&WR top 20.

By UMMM on April 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

So whoever ranked this was high?
This is probably the most outrageous lie I have ever heard.

By Atlantan on April 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I can also say as a native Atlantan that Emory has pretty terrible dining halls too. Yeah, I love Chik-Fil-A but that doesn’t mean Emory has good food. Just like how ABP and the food trucks don’t mean Penn has good food. These rankings are based on nothing.

By victor stagnetti on April 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

When I visited WashU in high school, the food was definitely something I noticed as standing out. When I saw Penn was getting the same food provider I was happy, but Commons and Hill suck hard. I find myself having a hard time accepting free swipes into either place, and I am not a very snobby food person. Houston’s pretty nice