FeaturesApril 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

Your Weekly Daily Pennsylvanian Quote

The DP recently featured this article about Wharton sophomore and “serial entrepreneur” Bradley Foster. Considering he already owns a hotel, restaurant, computer repair company and several other businesses, we’re not sure why he hasn’t yet pulled a Bill Gates and peaced out, Wharton, especially after stating the following:

I could take insurance whatever class at Wharton, or my hotel could just burn and I could learn a really quick lesson about insurance.

Let’s do the math. We will assume that it takes eight hours for your basic Sheraton to combust, compared to the 14 weeks in a semester with approximately three hours of class a week for your run of the mill “insurance whatever” class. Does this kid have a time machine? Or just a really, really huge ego hotel?

By C '13 on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

I took insurance. I definitely would have learned more in 20 minutes of real world instruction. I think you’re over-valuing a Penn education.

By Brad Foster on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Penn and Wharton education. This is an awesome business school, and a great learning institution overall. Trust me though, there is no replacement for real-world experience– that being said, you need both sides. You can learn from books all day long, but you need to experience it first hand, but you need the foundation of what you learn in class. Plus……… It was a joke……

By c'14 on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

Did you notice the rets of the article praising how down-to-earth he is?

By Chadwick DuPontification on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

I tried registering for Insurance Whatever (EGO 322) but it was full, so I set my house on fire instead.

By insr on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

insurance 205 is actually one of the better core classes

By Mariela on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

Bradley is an outstanding individual. I am a resident of Pavones (where his hotel is), and I can easily say that he is one of the best things to happen to this town. You should be ashamed of yourselves for the things that you say without knowing what a kind-hearted person he really is.

He will never tell you the real story about the fire because he is too humble a human being, but I will give you some insight into what happened. After the fire, the insurance company (government-owned) refused to pay the exact value of the damage, so Bradley was forced to pay, with his own money, for the reconstruction. It would have been cheaper for him to tear down the rest of the hotel and sell the land than it was to rebuild the hotel, but that hotel is the livelihood of so many people in Pavones, and he told one of his handyman in town that he would rather do the construction himself than to make all of his employees find new work. The hotel is all that many of the workers in Pavones have, and Brad has made sure that each and every worker has a purpose.

Bradley pays his employees far above the minimum wage for Costa Rica, and he treats them like family. I know this because I am their friends too, and he is an honorary “Tico”, as they say. There were so many people out of work after the fire. When that hotel burned down, it was closed for over a year, and he could have easily just let the employees fend for themselves while the hotel was rebuilt, but instead, he hired those employees on salary, and basically paid them so that they would not be out of work. Bradley made sacrifices for those people, and that is something that I will never forget. He is truly a gentleman, and will be part of the Pavones family no matter where his businesses take him.

By Mike on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

There is not a single ounce of arrogance in the entire article. Brad is beyond humble, and he was simply using hyperbole to prove a point about the benefits of a real-world education.

By W '13 on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

the girl who wrote this is just mad that she doesn’t even HAVE a hotel that can burn down…

By Brad Fan on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

Agree with most of the comments above – Brad is an amazingly humble and talented guy. Haters are just jealous that they can’t find the time or creativity to handle anything beyond their 4-5 credit load at Penn. You just don’t find this kind of self-starter attitude in every kid– I mean, in your average Penn kid.

By Anonymous on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

Hey, Bradley is an extremely down-to-earth guy. Those who know him well know that.

By C '13 on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

Actually, my education has sucked pretty bad thus far.

By Re: Brad fan on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

Yes, “everyone at Penn is jealous” because they can’t find the time to manage a hotel…because everyone who goes to Penn can just impulse-buy a hotel, right?

By BOB on April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

C’13, you come in and bitch about how much you dislike your Penn education on so many UTB posts. If you’re so unhappy, get off the internet and transfer.