Between the new Commons and all the food trucks on campus, we’re pretty sure you’ll never be in search of a meal again. But if you are a little adventuresome (think: as crazy as picking a random roommate your Sophomore year), you might just find yourself a short line and great food. Here are 5 things you need to know about the food source named for Joseph Wharton himself:
1) BBQ Wednesdays: If you missed all the smoke yesterday, the grills were fired up behind Steiny-D, serving burgers, hotdogs, and macaroni salad. Get on line by the outdoor patio or pay inside if you choose to use credit–nothing like putting the $4 or $5 plates on your plastic. Read the rest of this entry »
Spotted: Some Audacious Men from an unnamed fraternity performing “Baby Got Back” in front of the giant windows of Pottruck’s first floor cardio center as part of their hazing—er, ceremonial induction into the brotherhood. Dance like nobody’s watching?
Tabard and SDT and some other girls made a Vagina Monologues video in preparation for their big shows this Friday and Saturday. The vid’s got vaginas in Van Pelt, vaginas in Pottruck, vaginas in an a cappella rehearsal (think “gyn-gyn-gyn” instead of “djinn-djinn-djinn”) and even Ken Kweder asking around for a vagina (!). LOL! It’s funny because ‘vagina’ is not a word you usually say in public, but– and get this– they’re saying it in public!
But honestly, we’re being a bit harsh. Props to VagMons for the best Penn promotional vid we’ve seen… well, ever.
That stick figure below “BALLET w/ Joanna” is pretty convincing, and that “modern” “dancer” is close enough we guess, but the tangoing couple just beneath “SOCIAL DANCING”? We ain’t buyin’ it.
It’s the second full week of school, and you’re preparing for the calm before the storm. Yeah, midterms? Already? What’s up with that? Check out these neato events before you pretend to start studying.
Who: Penn Basketball
When and where: Today, 7 p.m.; The Palestra
Why: You know, basketball? That’s the one where they kick the ball into the net. Or there are ice skates involved in some way? Well, anyway, our freshman year roommate said it was a big deal, so we’re going to check it out ourselves because SPORTS RAH RAH RAH.
Read the rest of this entry »
The Green Fund is a pile of cash set aside for projects that will make The Environment pleased with Penn. Money goes to proposals, submitted by any member of the Penn community, that promote sustainability.
TGF recently announced its Fall 2011 batch of prizes, which includes ozone laundry at Pottruck. Ozone laundry? Haha, does the machine go “bleep bleep bloop” and split ozone to clean clothes? Oh, wait.
The fund’s announcement gleefully notes that the projects have already begun to show return on investment. Just in case you thought that the earth was ripping us off.
Playlist Of The Week–
Wanna hear some Cloud Nothings, Lykke Li and new material from our old friends Chairlift? Yeah, of course you do! Check out Street
's Playlist of the Week
How many times have you fainted from excitement at the sight of campus celebrity QUAKER BEN FRANKLIN? Hopefully zero, because that would be weird, but QBF is a BFD. Everybody’s always wanting to snap some pics and ride around in a giant motorized football helmet with him. He’s so cool and popular! We wish we could be more like him…
But from the looks of this photo shoot courtesy of the Office of University Communications, our mascot isn’t all that different from us!
He’s in Fisher, he’s in the ICA, he’s in the gym, HE’S EVERYWHERE
You’ll see in today’s DP that a new building is coming to the Biopond area of campus, (oddly?) described as the “Huntsman Hall for life-science students.” It’s basically any and all “Living World” requirements in one place, housing the good Psychology, BBB and biology stuff. It makes us think: what other campus lifestyles do we wish could just be in one place?
- The “Huntsman Hall” of Relaxation: A new de-stress center featuring haircuts from Adolph Biecker (no more schlepping to 34th), Kiwi fro-yo and the Bursar-able massages from Pottruck.
- The “Huntsman Hall” of Munchies: McDonald’s, Wawa and Allegro. Location: inside of Smoke’s. We’ll make it work.
- The “Huntsman Hall” of Downtowns: G lounge, Level and Palmer Social all in one convenient building on Beige Block. Never have to worry about leaving a coat behind again! Unfortunately, the Roxxxy will still be a million miles away.
- The “Huntsman Hall” of Huntsman Hall: Featuring Brooks Brothers, the OCR Suite and Occupy Philly all in one happy room.
For all of you video game addicts who realize that adding a bit of exercise to your couch potato routine wouldn’t kill you, consider looking into Fitocracy. Fitocracy, started by Penn alumni Brian Wang (’08) and Dick Talens (’08), uses the same concepts behind video game addiction to get people movin’ and groovin’ to the tune of their own fitness goals.
Don’t buy it? Fitness is more like a video game than you think:
- Seemingly small skills are developed, but only the final outcome determines your success: Did you reach a high score of 600 points or a set of six pack abs?
- Motivation is driven by a single goal: Beefy arms are fundamentally the same as rescuing the Princess from the palace.
- Intensity: If you can feel your thumbs or haven’t hit lactic acid fermentation, you’re doing it wrong.