’Tis the season to be stress-full, as many of us get ready to procrasturbate in our library of choice for the next few weeks. It’s not always easy to stay focused on the textbook you’ve definitely been keeping up with, but let this 1907 photo of Penn students doin’ work remind you that it can be done.
As we set course for the 215 once more, we cannot help but groan a little. Our T-day leftovers include enough work for weeks, and with finals looming, have we no thanks left to give? Here’s a list of things to give thanks for at Penn. Let it be the chicken soup for your soul.
1. Hot TAs – Savor the final hours of recitation with your pants on. Come second semester, TA means totally available, so cuff ‘em while you can. Tis the season.
2. Someone to drink with 24/7 – “Whenever, wherever, we’re meant to
be drink together.” Rain or shine, sleet or snow, off to the bar (or our bedrooms) we go.
3. The quarter machines in Houston that have peanut M&Ms – A hidden gem and staple for your impending emotional breakdowns.
4. Taking Music Theory to fulfill Formal Reasoning – Your get-out-of-jail-free card in the game of Pennopoly. Pass No on Math∞, and collect your sanity (whatever’s left).
5. The HubBub owner’s face – Your daily dose of tall, sexy, and Jewish (we assume). One look at this hunk and we’re more than caffeinated.
6. Van Pelt’s negligent bag checks – The only thing worse than a real bag check would be if people saw you embezzling a book. You will never come back from that.
7. The fact that Beijing is a BYO – Give thanks for the inedible, inexpensive food that makes the stale Burgundy Franzia taste like holy water.
8. The downstairs bathroom in Fisher – Nothing says “rock bottom” quite like a loo in the basement of a silent library.
9. The CVS on 43rd and Locust -for everything embarrassing you’d like to buy away from the prying eyes of your fellow Quakers.
10. Penn InTouch – If your stare at Somba long enough, maybe someone will drop it and you’re so in. Some call it procrastination, we call it tenacity.
Because we’re thankful for ya, the staff here at UTB put together a li’l Thanksgiving bingo card for your eNjOyMeNt. Click to enlarge, print, and cut it out (god bless if you actually do). See if you can get bingo before the food coma sets in, or blackout before Grandma blacks out. Hurrah, hurrah, happy Thanksgivukkah!
This fire hydrant gives a whole new meaning to “bra burning.” After what we presume must have been a pretty steamy night of second base under the stars, the evidence remains for the public to see. Speaking of (36-)Cs, head out to Hamilton Walk to retrieve your lost-and-found before your parents do!
Alas, we’ve hit that crucial point during finals: some people are done and others still have exams on Monday and Tuesday. Good thing there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Here’s a list of the five best ways to procrastinate in these last few days of darkness:
1. Actually use the library resources…to dirty-chat the librarians ;)
2. And if that doesn’t quite do it for ya, there’s always 50 Shades fan-fiction. Because we know that finals week is a time when most students get a little
3. If you’re looking for something a little more PG, bounce the cats on cat-bounce!
4. But if you want to feel semi-productive, you can kick it high school-style with this. What’s that? There no quiz to prepare you for your OPIM final? No worries, because there is a way to test your knowledge of these.
5.Watch the Godfather trilogy…on a computer in the Forum. We’re sure no one will mind!
As final season draws to a close, we decided to sit down with one randomly chosen senior, who may or may not have won a raffle with a profile post as a prize, and allow him to reflect on his last final as a college student. Grab some tissues; this one’s a tearjerker.
UTB: Before we start, how do you feel about me distorting your words to make you sound funnier?
WM: If it’s possible. I’m pretty funny.
UTB: Already doing it….So, what was your final final as a Penn student?
WM: Advanced negotiations.
UTB: Nice. How did you feel when you finished?
WM: How I always feel after I finish. Tired, happy, and ready to get out of there. *wink*
UTB: Did you just wink at me? Anyway, what were you thinking when you handed it in?
No matter what level of panic or relaxation you’re in, you could use a study break. Here are some tips to help you stay sane–no, seriously we’re trying to help! Not enough? Check out last semester’s list here. Current list after the jump!
Channeling Improv Everywhere, theatrical geniuses Sam Pasternack and Lee Marcus use the power of music to bring to life an integral part of the Penn experience–stuff watching. Who actually steals things? What if no one is willing to commit? Who can you trust? Does anything exciting happen in Harnwell!? Watch the video to find out!
Let’s face it, studying sucks, and what sucks even more is sitting in a cramped library for eight hours at a time surrounded by the same obnoxious people.
There’s the guy who falls asleep the moment he turns his computer on, the girl who “politely” asks you to plug in every Apple product known to man, and that one person that decided it was a great idea to get a five-course meal delivered to his study cubicle.
As Penn kids in the midst of finals, we can all relate. Here are the ten annoying things that happen to us in study spaces. Happy studying, everyone! Read the rest of this entry »