So we know where everyone went for spring break, but only God knows what everyone was doing. Oh wait, so do we. Thanks to our generation’s BFF status with social media and over-sharing, a quick glance at Facebook gave us a nice idea of what our fellow Quakers were up to. See who made the cut!
This caffeine addict friend-of-yours was having THE most wonderful time in Puerto Rico. Little known fact, Puerto Rico is known for coffee (this fact is so obscure, a search for “coffee” on Puerto Rico’s Wikipedia page brings up no results). In fact for the locals, coffee and “Port-oh-reeko” are synonymous (both mean gringo). Was it even fair trade? You self-indulgent tourist.
Read the rest of this entry »
Alas, break is over, and the quad bathrooms don’t quite measure up to those at your grandparents’ retirement complex in Boca. But don’t worry, be happy! We’ve got a list to remind you why Penn is the !$h. Forrealz, we hear our beloved university is the place to be this spring. And here are ten reasons to prove it:
1. Let’s just state the obvious: Spring Fling is around the corner! Time to start those countdowns, folks.
2. And on top o’ that…St. Patty’s day is upon us! Bonus points for having a midterm the next day.
3. Which reminds us…There are still midterms we get to take! And then…finals!!! Like a fat kid at a candy story, y’all. Read the rest of this entry »
As soon as that last Friday recitation is over, thousands of eager Penn students disperse around the world, or at least the tri-state area. Where oh where have all the Quakers gone? Chances are they’re at one of these places:
- Their roommate’s lab partner’s best friend’s house in Miami
- At all times on Penn’s campus, you are one degree of separation from someone with a house in Miami. It’s true– admissions worked it out that way so we can all mooch have a great Spring Break!
- Cabo/Cancun/somewhere in Mexico
- OMG, we need an airport Facebook pic STAT because half of the people getting on this plane are from Penn! Like, what are the odds? And who cares if you don’t know the language. You only need to know one word: moe-HEE-toe.
Read the rest of this entry »
Two young lovers avoid the hectic bustle of Miami and the blistering heat of Mexico by chilling on the banks of our very own Schuylkill. Nothing like the smell of industrial waste to get you in the mood.
Let’s face it, we all love Penn and going away on break isn’t always that easy. So, as you’re secretly crying in your hotel room because you miss Dear Old Penn way too much, we have provided you with our list of things to make you “miss” Penn even more. All you have to do is click here. Read the rest of this entry »
Spring break might feel too short, and that’s because it definitely is. There’re gonna be a lot of emotions in a short timespan so here’s your guide to what most of us will be feeling, and how to deal.
You’re imagining what you’d be doing if you had classes today. Sleep until you’re not nocturnal anymore. Put thoughts of homework to bed too.
Time to put higher education completely out of your mind. Spring break is here; you deserve this, girl! If you’re sticking around, there are still shenanigans to be had.
You’re deep enough into spring break and far enough from the end to let it all loose. Live a little and, while you’re at it, don’t forget to send Street your crazy SB texts.
Read the rest of this entry »
So, midterms are over, which means…SPRING BREAK 2k13!!! Where are you jetting off to – Cancun? Punta Cana? Cancun? But even if you’re not going away… Don’t get mad, get even! We’ve got a list to remind all you couch potatoes that you’re way better off than anyone ending up like this at any point during the week.
1. You can watch this as many times as your heart delights: Even those five-star resorts have spotty Wi-Fi. However, for those of us shackin’ up with the rents for the week, we can watch this gem of a video over and over and over (and over) again. And then follow it up with this.
2. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want it, without shame: For all of you who went on a cleanse in the weeks leading up to break to get that perfect ~beach bod~, we’ve got the last laugh. For those of us kickin’ it back locally, we don’t have to worry about showing our near birthday suits on the beach, day after day. Cue that second helping of your mom’s meatloaf, please. Read the rest of this entry »
For all of you Mask and Wig groupies who are dreading the wig-less week ahead, do not fret, you’re in luck! The Club is taking over the east coast, bringing their show, Beautopia: A Face Odyssey, to a major city near you. According to Secretary-Treasurer Harrison Lieberfarb C’13, “Every year, Mask and Wig writes its own show, which runs from January to April..this is what makes the show so unique- it runs for the semester, and it’s an entirely student written, full-length comedic musical”.
So whether you are chasing dreams in NYC, getting political in D.C., or sunbathing in Miami (betch), know that our Mask and Wig boys, and their unmatched talent, are not far away!
Get the full details and tickets here!
You’re done. Visions of bro tanks and plastic cup margaritas dancing in your head, you step out of your very last midterm and into the sunlight—But wait: you have ONE more assignment to do during your week of crazy debauchery in Mexi-cabo-iami: submit your craziest Spring Break texts anonymously to 34th Street!
When you wake up toothless on the beach to a bunch of extremely awkward texts you don’t even remember sending to your T.A., don’t worry. You’ll laugh about it when school starts up and you’re back to Van Pelt parties. This may be your chance to go down in SB2k13 glory forever. If not, at least let us all laugh at you.
Everybody’s HAD IT with those kids who email an entire class listserv three days before a midterm begging someone, anyone, to send them the entire semester’s worth of notes because their computer “mysteriously crashed” or they “missed class.” Nobody has fallen for it. Ever. And carelessly losing your laptop in Mexico during Spring Break isn’t likely to garner any sympathy, but the email below sent to one HIST431 class may be the most enticing plea ever:
Dear frienemies and people I have never met,
I come to you all in a time of great need, dare I say great peril. I returned on Friday from Puerto Vallarta minus one shiny new Macbook, with which I had embarked. Is it currently in the hands of Mexican Banditos, using its awesome computing power to gain control of the cocaine trade, or was it taken by the lady who cleaned my villa? The answer: I may never know. Read the rest of this entry »