Spring Fling is in the air and we are so freakin’ excited! What better way to get psyched (or faded, if you will) than to check out a Quad throwback? Pictured are two Penn students strolling through the LQ courtyard on a beautiful day in 1947. Here’s hoping for warm Fling weather like this, and maybe a worthwhile headliner? Sending out an SOF (save our Fling)! … David Guetta, are you there? Anybody?
Thanks to a subtle SPEC tweet, we’re pretty sure one of the Fling artists will be Tyga!! The clue (above, in today’s DP classifieds) included references to the songs “Faded” “Dope” and “Far Away.” Stay tuned for details!!
Update: The DP has confirmed that Tyga is, in fact, coming. Get excited!
This year Fling ticket sales are getting a major upgrade. For public safety reasons, SPEC will no longer sell tickets in the long line we’ve grown to know and love. Tickets will now be available through a series of online flash sales.
Details on the flash sales (so you know what classes to skip) will be available later this week in the DP. Claimed floor passes will be picked up/paid for on the walk during normal ticketing hours.
SPEC would also like to emphasize that the decision to move to online sales was not their own. Still, it seems like a hallmark of this year’s theme, “40 Years of Fling,” just like the website launched last month.
It’s Janelle, y’all! She’s the first of three performers to be announced by SPEC. Her hair is almost as fierce as her voice.
Calling all male fashionistas! If you want to show your love for Penn in style then buy these Italian suede shoes from Brooks Brothers here. They’re embroidered with Penn’s logo and guaranteed to endure that daily walk down Walnut (and quite possibly FLING WEEKEND).
Why not call up Mom and Dad and have them put a pair of these bad boys in your non-denominational holiday basket? The shoes do come with a price but c’mon how could you deny this kind of elegance?
Alas, break is over, and the quad bathrooms don’t quite measure up to those at your grandparents’ retirement complex in Boca. But don’t worry, be happy! We’ve got a list to remind you why Penn is the !$h. Forrealz, we hear our beloved university is the place to be this spring. And here are ten reasons to prove it:
1. Let’s just state the obvious: Spring Fling is around the corner! Time to start those countdowns, folks.
2. And on top o’ that…St. Patty’s day is upon us! Bonus points for having a midterm the next day.
3. Which reminds us…There are still midterms we get to take! And then…finals!!! Like a fat kid at a candy story, y’all. Read the rest of this entry »
So, midterms are over, which means…SPRING BREAK 2k13!!! Where are you jetting off to – Cancun? Punta Cana? Cancun? But even if you’re not going away… Don’t get mad, get even! We’ve got a list to remind all you couch potatoes that you’re way better off than anyone ending up like this at any point during the week.
1. You can watch this as many times as your heart delights: Even those five-star resorts have spotty Wi-Fi. However, for those of us shackin’ up with the rents for the week, we can watch this gem of a video over and over and over (and over) again. And then follow it up with this.
2. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want it, without shame: For all of you who went on a cleanse in the weeks leading up to break to get that perfect ~beach bod~, we’ve got the last laugh. For those of us kickin’ it back locally, we don’t have to worry about showing our near birthday suits on the beach, day after day. Cue that second helping of your mom’s meatloaf, please. Read the rest of this entry »
Looking to make a name for yourself at Penn? Craving eternal stardom? Want to perform at Fling? SPEC wants to give YOU the chance to perform in the Quad during the two-day festival. All you have to do is send in a few samples of your talent to email@example.com.
But act fast, the deadline is this Sunday! So grab your instruments, warm up those voices, and shake that thang because Fling is right around the corner, and we would love to see you whistle while you work it.
Read the full details here! Open to all bands, singers, dance groups, a cappella groups, awesome people, etc.
Are you the next Nate Silver? Do you think you know who’s coming to Fling this year? In response to all the smart asses throwing their guesses around with the certainty of biblical prophets, SPEC is holding a contest that gives students the opportunity to predict this year’s lineup for the chance to win a coveted floor pass. It’s easy! Just have your mom’s psychic fill out this form.
Philly-based artists OCD: Moosh & Twist have released a video for their song “This High,” which they aptly filmed on the bacchanalian field and bleachers of Fling. The chorus, “I don’t wanna come back down from this high,” echoes the sentiments and shouts of MERTed roommates everywhere. Moosh & Twist’s video prominently features not only Franklin Field, but the Palestra, too, marking the end of an old era, when all music videos were filmed exclusively at campus bars.